June 25th, 2021
So you’ve found the perfect apartment, signed the lease, and set a move-in date. Now what? At this point in the process, it’s common for excitement to give way to anxiety, as you realize there’s a lot to do in order to get ready for your big move! Here are a few tips that can help your move go a little more smoothly.
- Gather your supplies. Stock up on boxes, tape, packing materials, and permanent markers for labeling. Get more than you think you need! It’s also a good idea to give yourself some extra time to pack so that you’re not scrambling at the last minute!
- Schedule the logistics. Don’t forget to hire movers, if needed, and a moving truck. You should also reserve the loading dock and/or elevator at your new apartment ahead of time.
- Take measurements. Bring a measuring tape to your soon-to-be apartment so that you can measurements of each room. That way, you’ll be able to shop for furniture ahead of your move-in date, with the knowledge that everything will be a perfect fit. Take some photos, too, so you can map out your decor.
- Change your address. Update the United States Postal Service with your new address so that your mail will be forwarded properly. Don’t forget to update your driver’s license, too, and alert other important agencies.
- Prepare your documents. To help your move-in date go by smoothly, have all of the required documents signed and prepared ahead of time. Bring them with you on the day of your move-in.